Napranum, meaning ‘meeting place’, is located 819km north west of Cairns on the western side of the Cape York Peninsula – 15min from Weipa.
Formerly known as Weipa South, Napranum was established in 1898 by Moravian missionaries on behalf of the Presbyterian Church. Napranum is now governed by the Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council.
At the 2016 census, Napranum had a population of 957. However, its population is often much greater given its proximity to Weipa, with many families hosting members from other communities for shopping and work, sometimes staying long term.
To find out more about Napranum’s history, people, facilities, events and more visit the Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council.