Community–based Health Action Teams (HATs) are a vital part of Apunipima’s community control model. Health Action Teams are made up of community-based members who meet on a regular basis to discuss the health needs of their communities.
Health Action Teams:
- Are the link between Apunipima and the community
- Have a common goal of improving health outcomes in their communities
- Ensure that community health services are culturally appropriate and relevant
- Work with health professionals to develop Community Health Plans which address community health needs
- Work with existing community groups including the council, aged care services and homeland communities
- Are responsible for helping and planning cultural activities and activities of significant value for the community