Conquer the Corrugations 2019
Conquer the Corrugations Cape York Mental Health Awareness Walk strives to raise awareness of the issues surrounding life’s ‘corrugations’, to support and remember those affected, and to remove the stigma that surrounds mental health in Cape York by walking or riding 42km from the Coen Information Centre to the Archer River Roadhouse.
Participants and support staff camped at 28 Mile Camp last Saturday night and began the second leg of the walk at about 8am Sunday morning.
Lots of stories were shared by family groups and people on the walk in relation to the loss of a loved by suicide. Discussions revealed how difficult the impact is on surviving families with the effects magnified in rural and remote settings.
Guest speakers reinforced the lessons learnt as survivors of suicide which included:
- Seek help
- Harmful use of alcohol a contributing factor
- Identify supports within family and community
- Impact of suicide, lasting effects
- Depression a key factor in suicide stories
- Speak out about mental health issues
- Be attentive to people experiencing depression