Apunipima helped celebrate NAIDOC in Napranum last week, promoting our Sugary Drinks Proper No Good - Drink More Water Youfla and Don't Make Smokes Your Story campaigns.
Activities were held throughout the week, including a Don’t Make Smokes Your Story banner painting activity mid-week, and the main event on Friday.
Friday’s NAIDOC celebrations included a NAIDOC march/float parade, stalls, a dance competition, and fireworks to end the night. Apunipima Charkil-Om decorated a vehicle to enter into the parade and all the Apunipima staff in community marched alongside.
This march culminated at the Napranum oval where Apunipima had set up an interactive stall to educate community members and visitors about sugary drinks and smoking.
The winners of a local artwork competition promoting the Drink More Water Youfla message were also announced at NAIDOC. Children were asked to draw a picture the previous week at Napranum PCYC about drinking water and why it’s good for us.
All these pictures were displayed at our Apunipima stall at NAIDOC, with Napranum Mayor, Rex Bourke selecting the three winners. These drawings will be used in the near future to promote the campaign on a local level.
Latest from Super User
- Catholic Health Australia Visits the Cape
- Apunipima Board Elections
- Lifetime Achievement Award for Yvonne Cadet-James
- Cancer Council Queensland and Apunipima team up to tackle tobacco this NAIDOC Week
- Childhood anaemia common among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in remote Far North Queensland