40 Mossman Gorge football players (men from the Kurranji Cassowaries and women from the Lady Dragons) recently completed a 10 week Healthy Lifestyle nutrition and fitness program
A presentation ceremony was held at 11 am, Friday December 13, at the Mossman Gorge Wellbeing Centre.
The program promotes and encourages healthy lifestyle choices such as healthy eating and physical activity.
Coordinated by Apunipima Cape York Health Council and the Royal Flying Doctor Service, the program is designed to teach players about the benefits of good nutrition and regular exercise and help build and improve people’s fitness, agility, physical health, self-confidence and self-esteem.
Apunipima Healthy Lifestyle Worker (Tobacco) Margaret Ross-Kelly, who coordinated the program, said participant’s learned that combining health eating with regular exercise was a recipe for good health.
“With nearly half the men and around two thirds of the women in Mossman Gorge being overweight, these footy players are role models – by participating in this program they have demonstrated a commitment to their own health and the health of their community."
Latest from Super User
- Pormpuraaw Playgroup kids say move over wiggles
- Speech Pathology Week: time to shine the spotlight on our work with children
- Highlighting improvements in Cape York kids' hearing during Hearing Awareness Week
- Excitement in Napranum Over New Island & Cape Store
- Apunipima Highlights ‘Deadly Choices’ at Mapoon Community Day